Sunday, October 14, 2012

Time to follow my dreams


These past few months seem like a blur to me. I had plans that got put to a stop faster than I thought they would. Good, great, bad, and horrible things have happened over the last few months. I realized something though. I’m glad it’s all over. I gave up who I was. I gave up my dreams because I was told they were silly, or that they were not going to lead to anything. I got convinced that what I wanted to do would lead to nothing and I needed to stop being picky about a job and take what I could get. Why though? Why should anyone settle for something that doesn’t make them happy? I get social work is hard to get into right now without certain things (like a car lol). But who cares? I had a HUGE damn dream that I let someone get me to believe it was nothing important! I let someone lead me to believe that my business, which I worked hard on, should be nothing more than a hobby! Why? Because online sales sucked? Forget that! I made the cost of my supplies PLUS lots of profit back already! My business was doing well while I was devoted to it.

I was ready to give up everything to start new, which is fine for me. But I should have never given up on my dreams. I let someone actually talk me out of applying to get my Masters of Social Work because they felt it was useless for me. You know what; I plan on applying for my Master’s degree! I had a dream when I was in Kenosha, I had an idea of what I wanted to do. When I started school again and talked to more people, I really knew what I wanted to do. Over the past few months, despite someone telling me not to think about it, I started with an idea. Anyone who knows me knows that I have wanted to work in animal assisted Social Work; it’s been a passion of mine since before I left Kenosha. Anyone who knows me also knows that military social work has also always been on my mind. I am not letting one talk me out of doing what I want to do.

 I could never tell that someone the real reasons I wanted to pursue social work. I LOVE IT! Yes, it doesn’t pay well. Yes, there are lots of risks and stresses associated with it. Yes, there are dangers. But everything has dangers associated with it! I warn everyone that I dream big, sometimes these dreams are weird and people don’t think they’re possible. But you know what? WHO CARES! They’re my dreams for life. If you’re a part of my life and you supposedly “love” me, you would support me and tell me to go for them. Be there for me when I fail so bad that I have nowhere else to go but down. But don’t you dare try to pull me away from my dreams and tell me they’re nothing but silly, unimportant, or that my dreams will go nowhere. That’s essentially you telling me I am going nowhere.

I’m tired of not telling people what my dreams are; I’m tired of telling them and being told they will go nowhere.  One of my dreams is to start my own NPO (non profit org).  I want to open my own bookstore and bakery. I want to write stories. I want to get something published! I want to expand my business and make it more successful. I always wanted to be a photographer. I dream of finding someone who wants to make a comic book with me, even if we never give it out!

I'm going to follow my dreams from now on. If you want to tell me they're silly, the door is right over there. I suggest you get your shit and get out my life. I'm sick of people telling me what I can't do. I'm going to work toward my dreams. I will accomplish them, or I will fall trying. And you know what? If I fall, at least I can look back, smile wide, and know that I tried my best to do what I DREAMED TO DO! I refuse to play it safe anymore! Why play it safe? Life is far too precious to have regrets :) 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you :) I don't know who brought you down and told you that your dreams and ambitions were stupid and meaningless, but you should never allow that kind of thing..ever. It's damaging to your confidence and self esteem. I've had it happen here, too. :( Your right, too..no one who truly cared about you and/or loved you would have behaved in that manner, saying all of those awful things to you. Your doing the right thing, and I think your new positive attitude is great. :) You sound like a special girl, and whoever they were, they don't deserve you and you don't need them in your life.

    Power on ;)

    Ragdoll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind and encouraging words. It's still hard getting over the guy, but that's ok. It means I will be stronger! I refuse to let ANYONE tell me my dreams are silly. They may be near impossible, or improbable, but they are not silly ^___^

    ReplyDelete