Monday, October 15, 2012

Alice & The Demise of Wonderland - A Preview

This is a preview from the first chapter of a current novel I am writing. It is based on Alice in Wonderland, but has my own twist to it. Please enjoy and let me know what you think. 

_____________________________________________________________

Rabbit pushed the large door open to reveal a portal. "Come Alice, and remember, trust us and your instinct. Much has changed since you left. Not everyone will be glad to see you." Cheshire walked toward the door as Rabbit took Alice's hand. "Come, we must hurry! I can only keep it open for so long before the Queen notices." Alice looked at Rabbit and then the portal. She clutched Rabbit's hand as she stepped closer to the portal. Alice felt Cheshire walk along her other side, and all at once, they leaped into the portal and down the hole. Down through the mist they went, Alice looked down and could not see a bottom. "How far is this drop?" she asked, yet neither Rabbit nor Cheshire spoke back. She looked around and noticed that both were no longer by her side. Alice reached out into the air, hoping to grab a hold of anything.

Help! Help! What's going on?! Where are they? Please, oh please don't let me die! Help me! I shouldn't have followed them! Where can they be? Why did I get myself into this again? I should have just stayed in my room! Someone, please help me! This is their fault anyway! When will this end? Will it even end? What if it never ends? I will surely fall until I am dead! They’re the reason I was put away like a crazy monster! This is all their fault! Someone please help me! Why haven’t I stopped falling? Why did they come for me now? They say Wonderland changed what if there is nothing at the bottom this time? What if I just keep falling? Ticking? Where is that coming from? Why is there ticking? Rabbit! No, can't be. He isn't near me. Is he? Rabbit where are you? Rabbit, Help me! I’m over here! I can’t stop falling! Where are they? Where am I!? Why won't the ground come sooner! I'm going to die! I will surely die if I keep falling! I should have just stayed!! Never should have thought to return! Please, oh please wake up Alice!! This is just a dream! I do not want to go through this again! Wake up Alice!! Why can't I wake up? Please! Alice, wake yourself up! If I hit the ground, I will surely die! Wake up! I need to wake up! The queen!!! What if she knows? I will lose my head! I should have stayed at the hospital! I was getting better! I wish I had never been to wonderland! Cheshire! Why did he drag me here? I will kill him for this! I will skin him alive and hang him by his neck for this! No, what am I thinking! Cheshire is my friend!! No, he isn't! This is a trap! They just want me dead! They used Wonderland as a way to trick me! Oh, wait until I see them! Alice, you fool! Stop thinking like this! I must calm down. I need to calm down. Rabbit! Cheshire! Where are you at? When will the falling end? Will it end? I will die in here won’t I? Someone, anyone, please help me. How long have I been falling? It can’t have been long! The hole will surely end. It will be like always; I will land on at the bottom and go through the door! Yes, I am sure of it. There will be a door and a key and I will keep messing up, just like before. I will be safe. What if it doesn’t end? What if I keep falling and falling? What is there is no end? No, there IS an end to this falling! There is an end! I will be back in Wonderland! Glorious Wonderland! How I missed it so. I must go see the garden again! Then I will go see the Hatter and Hare. Maybe this time I will finally have some tea. Wonderland…I knew I wasn’t crazy. It cannot have changed much over the years! But Rabbit…..he said it is not the same. He just wants me to worry over nothing! What if he is right though? He can’t be…he likes to mess with me too much. Oh, him and that stupid watch!! I highly doubt we were late for anything! I will break that watch next time I see it. How can he always be late? I will break his watch or break his neck! Why am I still falling? This is their entire fault! I will break both of their necks for bringing me back here! I hate falling! When will it end? Help me please for I am surely going to die if I keep falling this fast! Dear Lord, I am going to die alone and crazy! Someone Help Me! AHH! Where are these thoughts coming from?! wish they would just STOP!

Alice hit the ground with a loud thud. "Rabbit? Cheshire? Are you there?" she whispered urgently, hoping one of them would hear her. The area was dark; Alice’s eyes took moments to adjust to the dimness. She began to see faint outlines of objects in the room. Out the corner of her eye, Alice was sure something moved. Alice clutched the knife tighter in her hand as she felt something slither around her leg. Alice tried kicking it away, but the thing wrapped itself around her ankle. Alice began to tug at the slimy object wrapped around her leg, the more she tugged, the tighter it constricted around her. "Cheshire!" she screamed out in agony, hoping he could hear her. She continued to struggle as she lost feeling in her leg. Alice almost fell over but steadied herself, “Cheshire please! Help me! Rabbit! Anyone!” Alice remembered she had the knife in her hand and hacked away at the thing wrapped around her leg. A putrid smell entered her nose. She hacked at the thing again and the smell worsened, causing Alice to become faint. Alice took another swing at the thing wrapped around her leg, but it only tightened its grip on her. Alice fell over and felt a slithering sensation around her arm; she screamed out and tried to shake it off, but to no avail. Her arm and leg were immobilized and she was helpless on the floor as she struggled. A small whimpered sounded from her throat and tears streamed down her cheek. “I’m going to die…” she whispered to herself. The thing tightened its grip more, causing Alice to shriek out in pain.

There was a low growl coming from somewhere in the darkness. Alice tried to focus her eyes, tried to see where the growls were coming from and what was making them. There was a soft brush against her back. “Fur…Cheshire?” She thought to herself momentarily before her eyes caught movement. Something was running toward her, Alice tried to move away but the tentacles gripping her only tightened around her arm and leg, causing her to scream louder. She tried to find the outline of the growling animal; instead she heard a loud hiss close to her ear and looked up. “Cheshire! Help me!” Alice screamed up as the cat lunged toward the tentacles. His fans sunk deeply into the closest one and wrapped his claws into it as it tried to fling him around. The smell coming from the punctures only worsened, causing Alice to gag. Taking another chance, Alice thrust the knife as hard as she could into the tentacle wrapped around her leg. She heard a scream as the tentacle finally loosened its grip. Alice pulled the knife out and thrust it in again, pulling the knife and ripping part of the tentacle from the body.

Alice, having her leg freed from the creature, stood and began to hack at the remining part attached to her arm. She screamed and dug the knife in, causing the creature to screech and release her. It unwrapped itself from her and Alice heard the clanking of the knife falling and hitting the floor. There was a loud hiss and another screech from the creature. Alice tried to adjust her eyes again, trying to see what had hold of her previously. The room got eerily quiet, the hissing and screeching had stopped. The smell from the creature’s blood had ceased to fill the room. Alice turned slowly in her spot, afraid of moving anywhere else. “The Knife…where did it go” she wondered, lowering herself slowly to the floor. “Cheshire, are you still there? Please answer me. Cheshire. Please” Her voice cracked as her hands swept across the floor, trying to find the knife once more. Out the corner of her eye, Alice saw the glint of the metal and lunged for it; her hand wrapped tightly around the handle of the knife and clutched it close to her body. She scanned the room again, hoping to be bale to make out any figures.

She jumped to her feet, clutching the knife in one hand, the other stretched out in front of her, trying to feel for a surface. The light in the room seemed to have grown brighter. The light was coming from the cracks in a door. She walked toward the door, her feet shuffling across the floor, eyes fixed upon the location of the door. When she got close to the door, the light disappeared. Alice stood there, her arm still outstretched. The light seemed to reappear ever so slightly, getting brighter and brighter until...

POP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment